Computational Couture

The assignment for this week was to design and develop a 3D model using Grasshopper and print the pattern using the 3D printer.

The methods I used are:

1.flexible structures

2.printing on fabrics.

First I created 5 points in Grasshopper and each point should be connected to 5 existing points in Rhino. For my assignment, I chose to make a shape similar to hexagon but the positioning of the points is flexible for each person. Afterwards, I added the line tool to create a line between each 2 neighbors points. So each point will be connected with 2 Line.Then I created Polyline button and connected all the Point buttons to it, as shown below.

I extruded the polyline in the Z plane, connected it to a slider which is used for the depth of the holes and also create an offset for the lines. I create a lofted surface with the LOFT button and connect EXT and LOFT.

After created all the buttons as shown in the first picture I 3D printed with flexible PLA. I used the same code to get different patterns just by changing the depth of the holes, the number of hexagons or the difference of space between them. For example the difference between the first pattern in the pictures below and the second pattern is that the space between the hexagons in the second patter is much lower so that they are interlocking which each other. In the first picture only the edges of the hexagons are touching each other. The other difference is that the height of the pattern or the depth of the hole in the first pattern in much higher than the second and also the thickness of the lines is different in this 2 patterns.

I printed the flexible PLA first on flexible fabric. My idea was so when we stretch the flexible fabric the pattern will change shape from the resting one. In the first try (first picture) the lines where too thick and deep so that no change was made to the pattern if we stretch the fabric. So I decided to reprint my making the lines thinner and decreasing the depth of the hole.
I also printed just with flexible PLA but the tips of the hexagons didn't have a good connection so they were starting to separate from each other when bending.