Week 7: Textile as scaffold

For this week each student had to use a different technique to make a prototype of a technical textile application.

First, we experimented as a group with the help of Adriana with concrete. We had to use protection and other materials like bucket, gear, concrete, water, scales , textiles etc.


The concrete dries fast so we first prepared the textiles but choosing and cutting the textile in the shape we wanted to try.

Then we mixed the concrete according to the recipe given on the packaging by combining scaled , stirring gear and water. Then we combined the textile with the concrete by trying to give different shapes and let it dry.


Molds and Textiles

In the second experimentation with Adriana we used epoxy resin, mold and textiles. During this part we choose a mold and then cut the textile in different small pieces (this is so the textile is easer to paste on the mold without creating bubbles. We mixed the epoxy resin according to the recipe given on the packaging by using scales, stirring gear and cup.


First we sprayed the seperating spray on the mold and then we took a piece of textile after the other, put it on top of the mold and using a brush and epoxy resin to build up multiple layers.





In the individual part I thought to use the second technique but instead of exposy resin I used a biomaterial recipe and I create my own mold using Fusion 360.

I choose to create a negative mold out of foam and create a composite by using different layer of different textile and use bio material as a glu.

I created this mold in fusion and by using the Roland CNC milling machine and foam.



I used 2 types of fabric:
The black one is composite of :silk, nylon,polyester and rayon.
The white one is composed of sild and polyester.

I cut the 2 fabrics in smaller pieces in order to get better to the corners and the lines of the mold.

For the bio plastic material I used the following recipe


I left it one week to get dry but is still a little wet so I guess I didn't apply the bio plastic recipe correctly. The result is shown in the pic below and as you can see the black fabric have left some color behind.